If you're bored of your usual egg and soldiers, try adding some new flavours to your breakfast with these Turkish egg recipes
If you like having eggs for breakfast but always find yourself cooking the same recipes, why not diversify your kitchen a little? Turkish cuisine has a lot to offer, including delicious egg recipes.
Here are four of them that you can serve for breakfast or even as a main meal.
Menemen is a simple flavour—you only need eggs, tomatoes, peppers, and optionally, onions. It is actually a topic of debate among Turkish people whether menemen should be made with or without onions. So you can try both versions and decide for yourself.
- 2 bell peppers
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1 onion (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Spices: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Chop your tomatoes, onions, and peppers finely and heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Once the oil is warm enough, add the bell peppers and the onions and fry them until they soften.
- Add the tomatoes and put a lid on the pan. It will take around ten minutes for the tomatoes to soften. If the tomatoes stick to the frying pan and the mixture is not juicy at all, you can add some boiling water.
- Crack the eggs and add them to the pan with the spices. Mix until they are cooked.
- Enjoy your menemen with some bread.
Tip: If you want your menemen to be more liquidy, you can add more tomatoes than eggs. This way, you can eat it by dipping some bread in it.
Alternatively, you can add fewer tomatoes and cook them for a longer time. This will make it more solid and the eggs will be the dominant flavour.
2. Sucuklu yumurta (eggs with sucuk)
Sucuk is a type of beef sausage that is common in the Middle East, Balkans, and Central Asia. Your best bet at finding sucuk is by going to a Middle Eastern, Eastern European, or Mediterranean deli.
If this is not possible, the closest alternatives would be chorizo or pepperoni.
- 3 eggs
- 7-8 round slices of sucuk
- Spices: salt and pepper
- Fry the slices of sucuk in a frying pan. You won't need any additional oil as they are naturally very oily—they will end up releasing their oil in a couple of minutes.
- Turn them over to cook both sides. Once both sides turn brown, add the eggs.
- Do not mix, just wait for the eggs to cook. You can then add salt and pepper.
We can describe mucver as a pancake made of courgettes. It is mainly served as a side dish or a snack but you can also have it for breakfast. Mucver can also be a tasty vegetarian alternative to meatballs.
- 2 eggs
- 2 courgettes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs of green onion
- 100ml flour
- Spices: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley
- Grate the courgettes and squeeze the excess water out of them.
- Mix the eggs and the flour in a separate pot.
- Add the finely sliced green onions, the spices and the grated courgettes and mix them very well to form a dense batter.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan.
- Once the oil is very hot, add two tablespoons of the batter and fry both sides until they turn golden brown.
- Put the fried mucver on paper towels to absorb extra oil.
Tip: This is the most common version of the recipe but it doesn’t mean that you can’t get creative with it! Instead of courgettes, you can also use potatoes, carrots or celery.
Have you ever thought that eggs would go well with yogurt? Many people seem to think so. In Turkish culture, cilbir is not as popular as the previous three recipes, but it has become TikTok famous under #turkisheggs, which has over 23 million views.
- 2 eggs
- 200ml yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Spices: salt, pepper, and red chilli flakes or Aleppo pepper
- For this recipe, you will need to prepare poached eggs. Start by cracking the eggs into separate bowls.
- Bring water to a boil and add salt and vinegar. Then add the eggs one by one and let them boil until they poach.
- Place the yogurt in a bowl, grate some garlic into it and mix it well.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the olive oil and add the butter. When the butter melts, add your spices.
- Put the eggs on the yogurt, and then the spicy sauce on top of both.
- Serve with toast.
Need Fresh Food Supplies?
If you need the ingredients for you next planned recipe or just want to stock up on your groceries. Then why not order from Morrisons on Amazon and get them delivered straight to your door. Orders are hand-picked from local stores by dedicated Morrisons staff and delivered to customers by Amazon Flex Delivery Partners.
Read more: Easy recipes for breakfast and brunch
Read more: The proven benefits of a Mediterranean diet
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.
Loading up next...