Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in our overall health and well-being. With its involvement in more than 300 biochemical reactions in the human body, it is no wonder that many people seek to maintain optimal magnesium levels.
However, obtaining the recommended daily intake of magnesium through diet alone can sometimes be challenging. This is where magnesium supplements can prove to be valuable.
In this article, we will explore the top five magnesium supplements available in the UK market, helping you make an informed decision on which product best suits your needs. We will discuss the different forms of magnesium, what factors to consider when selecting a supplement, and the potential benefits of magnesium supplements.
By the end of this article, you'll have a better understanding of magnesium supplements and how they can support your overall health. So, let's dive into the world of magnesium and discover the best options for you.
What is magnesium?
Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a vital role in our bodies. It is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body and is required for various physiological processes, including energy production, nerve function, muscle contractions, and protein synthesis.
Approximately 50-60% of the magnesium in our bodies is stored in our bones, while the rest is found in muscles, soft tissues, and bodily fluids. It is important to maintain an adequate magnesium intake since our bodies cannot produce this mineral on their own. We typically obtain magnesium through our diets, with magnesium-rich foods including leafy green vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and whole grains.
However, due to modern agricultural practices, soil depletion, and processed foods, the magnesium content in many foods has decreased over time, making it more challenging for some people to achieve their recommended daily intake through diet alone. In such cases, magnesium supplements can provide an effective way to maintain optimal magnesium levels and support overall health.
What to look for in a magnesium supplement?
When selecting a magnesium supplement, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you choose the best product for your needs. These factors include the type of magnesium, dosage, and quality of the supplement. Here, we will discuss each factor in detail.
1. Type of magnesium: There are various forms of magnesium available in supplements, each with its unique properties and absorption rates. Magnesium oxide, for example, is the most commonly found form due to its low cost. However, it has a low absorption rate of only 4%, which means that a small percentage of the magnesium in this form is effectively utilised by the body.
On the other hand, magnesium glycinate, malate, and citrate are considered the best types of magnesium, as they offer higher absorption rates and are more gentle on the digestive system. Taking these forms together in a magnesium complex provides maximum synergistic benefits, as they work together to enhance the overall effectiveness of the supplement.
2. Dosage: The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for magnesium varies depending on factors such as age, sex, and life stage. When choosing a supplement, it's essential to select one with an appropriate dosage to meet your individual needs. The NHS recommends a daily dose of 300 mg/day for Men (19 to 64 years) and 270 mg/day for Women (19 to 64 years).
3. Quality: The quality of a magnesium supplement can have a significant impact on its effectiveness and safety. Look for products from reputable manufacturers that adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and have undergone third-party testing to ensure purity, potency, and the absence of contaminants.
By considering the type, dosage, and quality of a magnesium supplement, you can make an informed decision and choose a product that will provide optimal benefits for your health.
What is the best magnesium supplement?
1. MAGSUPPS Triple Magnesium Complex
As a UK brand focused exclusively on producing innovative magnesium supplements, MAGSUPPS has designed the perfect formula to support your health and well-being.
MAGSUPPS Triple Magnesium Complex features a powerful blend of three highly absorbable forms of magnesium: magnesium glycinate, magnesium malate, and magnesium citrate. This unique combination works together to provide maximum synergistic benefits that single-type magnesium supplements simply cannot match.
Each bottle of MAGSUPPS Triple Magnesium Complex contains 120 easy-to-swallow, vegan-friendly capsules, providing 40 servings of 300mg elemental magnesium, split equally between the three types of magnesium. This ensures you get the optimal balance and absorption your body needs to thrive.
Proudly made in the UK, MAGSUPPS Triple Magnesium Complex is manufactured to the highest quality and safety stands Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and ISO certification. You can trust that you're getting a top-quality product with no fillers, flow agents, or any other additives. Their capsules contain only the pure, non-buffered triple magnesium formula.
The magnesium ingredients used in MAGSUPPS Triple Magnesium Complex are of the highest purity and non-buffered ensuring maximum bioavailability and effectiveness. This means you can be confident that you're giving your body the best possible support when it comes to magnesium supplementation.
With an incredibly competitive price of just £15.95, MAGSUPPS Triple Magnesium Complex is not only a superior choice for your health but also your wallet. Don't settle for less when it comes to your magnesium supplement – choose MAGSUPPS Triple Magnesium Complex and experience the difference for yourself!
2. NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate
NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate is a fantastic option for those seeking a high-quality and effective magnesium supplement. This trusted brand offers a potent formula containing magnesium citrate, a highly bioavailable and easily absorbed form of magnesium that provides support for various aspects of your overall health and well-being.
This supplement contains a substantial dose of elemental magnesium, with 200 mg per serving, ensuring your body gets the most out of each dose. NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate is suitable for individuals with dietary restrictions, as it is both vegan and gluten-free. As a well-known and respected brand in the supplement industry, NOW Foods is renowned for its commitment to quality and purity.
In addition, NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate is manufactured under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) to ensure the highest standards in production. By choosing NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate as your magnesium supplement, you can support your overall health, from maintaining normal muscle and nerve function to promoting healthy bones and teeth.
3. SuperSelf Magnesium Complex
A close rival to Nu U Nutrition’s formula, SuperSelf's Magnesium Glycinate capsules similarly contain Zinc and Vitamin B6 to fight off fatigue and boost muscle relaxation.
However, SuperSelf’s Magnesium Glycinate comes in a much higher strength (300 mg) of elemental magnesium per serving but again promises superior bioavailability thanks to the Glycinate chemistry. This means it can boost energy throughout the day and help you to fall asleep at night.
SuperSelf also comes with the backing of third-party laboratory testing and an extra badge of honour for being compliant with stringent British and EU safety standards and regulations.
4. Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate
If you’re looking for a milder form of magnesium glycinate with all the added benefits of bioavailability and an increase in mood and energy, Pure Encapsulations has you covered.
This formula is made with no added fillers, additives or junk: what you see if what you get with Pure Encapsulations.
This Magnesium Glycinate supplement works to slowly release magnesium into the system, which means it might take a little bit longer to absorb compared to others on this list.
However, it is just as good at reducing the chances of a magnesium deficiency and fighting off low energy levels. Some regular users even claim it helps to alleviate migraines and sleep disorders, too.
5. Life Extension Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate
Life Extension Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate is an excellent choice for those seeking a unique and targeted magnesium supplement. This innovative formula features Magnesium L-Threonate, a form of magnesium specifically designed to optimise brain health and cognitive function.
Life Extension Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate offers a patented form of magnesium that effectively crosses the blood-brain barrier, allowing it to directly support brain health and cognitive function. This form of magnesium has been linked to improved memory, learning, and overall cognitive performance.
Designed for maximum absorption, Life Extension Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate ensures that your body receives the full benefits of this unique magnesium form. By choosing Life Extension Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate as your magnesium supplement, you can not only support your overall health but also provide targeted support for your brain and cognitive function.
What are the benefits of magnesium supplements?
Magnesium supplements have recently gained attention a lot of attention on social media due to their numerous reported benefits. And, while there are many studies investigating the effects of magnesium on specific conditions, in this section, we will focus on the health benefits of magnesium supplements that have been approved by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA):
- Reduction of tiredness and fatigue: Magnesium plays a crucial role in energy production within our cells. By supplementing with magnesium, you can support your body's energy-yielding metabolism and help reduce feelings of tiredness and fatigue.
- Normal functioning of the nervous system and psychological function: Magnesium is essential for the proper functioning of our nervous system. It supports the transmission of nerve impulses and plays a role in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, which are vital for maintaining healthy psychological function.
- Normal muscle function, including heart muscle: Magnesium is involved in muscle contractions and relaxation, making it necessary for the proper functioning of our muscles. This includes the heart muscle, which relies on magnesium to maintain a steady rhythm and normal blood pressure.
- Maintenance of normal bones and teeth: Around 50-60% of the magnesium in our bodies is stored in our bones, highlighting its importance for bone health. Magnesium works synergistically with calcium and other minerals to help maintain bone density and the overall structure of our bones and teeth.
- Normal energy-yielding metabolism and electrolyte balance: Magnesium plays a vital role in our body's energy production by participating in numerous enzymatic reactions. It also helps maintain the balance of electrolytes, which are essential for proper hydration, nerve function, and muscle function.
By supplementing with a high-quality magnesium product, such as those mentioned in this article, you can support your body in achieving the above benefits. However, it is important to remember that magnesium supplements should be used alongside a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle to maximise their effectiveness.
Should I take a magnesium supplement?
Deciding whether to take a magnesium supplement depends on various factors, such as your dietary intake, medical conditions, and lifestyle. Here are some points to consider when deciding if a magnesium supplement is right for you:
- Dietary intake: Assess your current diet to determine if you are consuming enough magnesium-rich foods, such as leafy greens, nuts, seeds, legumes, and whole grains. If your diet is lacking in these foods, a magnesium supplement might be beneficial.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions or medications can affect your body's magnesium levels, leading to a deficiency. Consult your healthcare professional to determine if a magnesium supplement is recommended based on your specific circumstances.
- Lifestyle: Factors such as high levels of stress, excessive alcohol consumption, and poor sleep quality can deplete magnesium levels in the body. In these cases, a magnesium supplement may help support overall health and well-being.
- Symptoms of magnesium deficiency: Be aware of the common signs of magnesium deficiency, such as muscle cramps, fatigue, irregular heartbeat, insomnia, and anxiety.
Before starting any supplementation, it is essential to consult a healthcare professional. They can assess your individual needs, provide personalised recommendations, and ensure that a magnesium supplement is safe and appropriate for you.
The bottom line
Magnesium is a crucial mineral that plays a vital role in our overall health. With various forms of magnesium supplements available, it is essential to choose the right product that meets your specific needs and preferences.
Remember, magnesium supplementation should be used alongside a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle to achieve the best results. Always consult a healthcare professional before starting any new supplementation regimen. By making informed decisions about magnesium supplements, you can support your overall health and well-being.
Loading up next...