Indulge in some self-care and treat your hands and nails to some TLC with our collection of four DIY hand and nail cream recipes
With ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen, these recipes are easy to follow and will leave your hands feeling soft, moisturised, and nourished. Whether you're dealing with dry skin or looking for a little pampering, these homemade creams are the perfect solution!
1. Gardener’s hand cream
This hand cream is especially suitable for hard-working hands and costs very little to make. Since we are using unpreserved vegetable oils, consider halving the recipe if you don’t have a cool, dark place to store the hand cream or a friend to share with.
"The gardener's hand cream is especially suitable for hard-working hands and costs very little to make"
To make calendula tea, pour a cup of boiling water over half a teaspoon of dried calendula flower petals and let it steep until cool.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix all the ingredients. Set the microwave to medium heat and cook for 30 seconds or until the beeswax is melted. Remove from the oven with a pot holder and allow to cool.
- Pour the mixture into a wide-mouthed, sterilised jar with a tight top. Store in a cool, dark place until ready to use.
2. Cuticle Cream
Credit: Maria Tebryaeva
When was the last time you paid attention to your cuticles? It's about time they get some tender loving care with this spa treatment that you can make in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, combine the paraffin with the oils. Stir until the paraffin is melted and the mixture is blended. Stir in the glycerine and remove the pan from the heat. Let the mixture cool.
- Apply the cooled cream to the cuticle area. Rub in and allow to rest for ten minutes or so.
- Trim cuticles with a cuticle tool. Massage away the cream by applying a gentle body or hand lotion and rubbing lightly, then rinse with warm water.
3. Warm oil hand treatment
Manicurists can charge a great deal for hot oil hand treatments. Here is a delightfully simple and effective recipe you can create from ingredients in the pantry.
- Place the oil in a microwave-safe dish and heat it on medium-high for a few seconds until it is warmed, but not hot. Add the almond extract or lavender oil, if desired. Stir.
- Rub the oil on your hands, massaging your fingers and palms. Cover your hands with the plastic bags and wrap a clean hand towel over the bags. Sit comfortably for about five minutes.
- Remove the bags and rinse your hands with warm water, massaging away the oil. Gently pat dry with the towel and apply a light hand lotion.
4. Polenta hand scrub
Skip the long queues for overpriced hand scrubs! This gentle massage scrub barely jingles your purse and will leave your hands silky smooth!
"This gentle massage scrub barely jingles your purse and will leave your hands silky smooth"
- ¼ cup polenta (cornmeal)
- 45ml milk
- 1 drop almond oil (or almond extract)
- In a small saucepan, mix the polenta with the milk. Heat the mixture over low heat until it forms a paste. Remove from heat and stir in the almond oil. Allow to cool.
- Spread the mixture on your hands and allow to sit for ten minutes. Gently scrub your hands with the mixture and then rinse off with warm water.
Banner credit: iprogressman
Read more: Is CBD Actually good for your skin?
Read more: 4 Steps to perfect hair and nails
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
Loading up next...