Not sure which online platform to use to connect with a therapist? Check out our list of 5 of the best online therapy services you can trust in 2022.
5 Best Online Therapy Platforms 2022
Mental health is as important as physical health, but research has shown that 70% of people do not have access to traditional, in-office therapy. No wonder that online therapy is quickly becoming one of the top ways people seek professional mental health support. It’s an affordable and convenient solution for those who can’t see a therapist or a counselor in person for any reason.
Not online therapy services are created equal, so choosing the right one for your specific needs can be challenging. To help you get started, experts from drmental.org analyzed the most popular telehealth platforms and selected the best ones for different needs and preferences. Here are the results of their findings – top 5 online therapy platforms in 2022 and a quick summary of what they offer.
Calmerry – Best Overall
- Unlimited messaging therapy (text, audio) and live video sessions
- Licensed therapists with experience in different fields
- Available in all 50 states
- Clients are matched with an online provider by Calmerry staff, not algorithm
- Multiple subscription plans to choose from
- High ratings on Trustpilot
- Customer support via live chat, phone, and email
- Free online mood tracker and journaling app to practice self-care
- No psychiatrists or medication management services
- You can only see prices after you sign up
Calmerry operates as a subscription service that provides users with online sessions by licensed therapists via messages, audio, and video. Clients can message their therapist whenever they need to and get guaranteed responses 1-2 times a day on business days. They can also schedule live video sessions. All Calmerry therapists are licensed and trained to provide treatment for a wide range of mental health concerns, including depression, stress, burnout, trauma and PTSD, OCD, low self-esteem, grief and loss, career issues, and more. It’s also a great option if you are looking for online anxiety therapy or need professional support with LGBTQ+ issues.
After you sign up and pay for your subscription, you will get matched with licensed mental health professionals by Calmerry staff, not an algorithm. And if you don’t like the therapist assigned to you by the Calmerry team, you can switch to a different provider for free to find a better match. You’ll get access to personalized Therapy Room that serves as a dashboard, There you’ll have a private space to meet with your therapist, process your sessions, manage your subscription, and track your performance. You’ll also get access to your Reflection Helper, a free chatbot designed to help you track your daily mood and create journal entries to self-reflect on your online therapy journey.
BetterHelp – Best for Customer Experience
- Many online ways to access care: text, video session, live chat, phone calls
- Individual therapy, couples therapy, and therapy for teens
- A huge online provider network
- All therapists are well-qualified and licensed
- You can request financial aid
- Easy to change therapists without any charge
- Optional online group therapy sessions proving a sense of community
- Not covered by insurance
- No medication management services
BetterHelp has the largest online network of licensed and highly qualified therapists (26,000+ at the time of writing) and offers one of the most comprehensive teletherapy services. BetterHelp offers virtual therapy and counseling via chat, phone calls, and video calls. Betterhelp providers can help clients with different mental health issues, including anxiety, stress, burnout, depression, relationships concerns, trauma, PTSD, grief and loss, life transitions, addiction, eating and sleep disorders, and more. Although the platform’s services are not covered by insurance, users can request financial aid if they are unable to pay the full price.
When you subscribe, you’re paired with a dedicated therapist, based on your answers to introductory questions. It can take from a few hours to a few days to get matched. You have weekly therapy sessions and unlimited messaging with your counselor. There are also free interactive group therapy sessions every week for those who like community support. All users have access to an online journal with some useful prompts where they can record their thoughts and feelings.
You can cancel the subscription at any time. Customer service can help you switch providers to find a good match, and you aren’t required to tell your therapist about it yourself – the company staff can take care of that for you.
Talkspace – Best Network of Therapists
- Multiple communication options: text, audio, live video sessions
- Individual, couples, and teen therapy
- Psychiatry services and medication management
- Clients can choose their online provider from recommended suggestions
- Multiple flexible subscription plans
- Employee assistance programs available
- Accepts some insurance plans
- Online resource library
- You can only choose therapists from algorithm selected matches
- No therapist bios on website prior to signup
- Response time depends on the individual therapist
Talkspace is a subscription-based therapy platform that provides unlimited online text and audio messaging plans with licensed therapists who specialize in a wide range of mental health conditions. Clients can also communicate with their therapist using live video sessions. The platform offers multiple payment plans to cater to different budgets and meet mental health needs. The company also works with some insurance providers and EAP plans, which helps make their services more affordable if your plan is in-network. Additionally, they take payments from HSA and FSA cards.
Talkspace offers easy online access to more than 3,000 thoroughly vetted licensed mental health professionals who can provide emotional support for people with different mental health concerns, including depression, anxiety, stress, burnout, eating disorders, sleep issues, mood disorders, grief & loss, PTSD, OCD, chronic illness, substance abuse, relationship problems, and more. The platform also provides online psychiatric evaluation and medication management services.
Amwell – Best for Flexible Scheduling
- Expert staff of licensed therapists, psychiatrists, and MDs
- Schedule live video sessions as needed
- Individual, couples, teen therapy available
- Online treatment for a variety of mental health concerns
- Medication management services
- Some therapists are available nights and weekends
- Costs are lower than in-office therapy services
- Accepts a wide variety of health insurance plans
- Video sessions are the only option
- No free consultation sessions
Amwell is a telehealth service allowing patients to connect with their healthcare professionals or mental health professionals through live video visits. The online platform is designed for on-demand care and offers a broad range of health services available in all 50 states, from urgent care needs to mental health therapy and psychiatry. You can get online professional support for a number of different mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, stress management, OCD, trauma and PTSD, life transitions, and more, and they also offer couples therapy services. It’s also possible to book talk therapy sessions for children as young as 10, but parental consent is needed.
There are no subscription options, and clients pay for each online therapy session they book. When clients schedule their appointments, they can pick the therapist they want to work with by browsing through the bios of therapists with availability. Each therapist’s bio includes information about their qualifications, areas of specialty as well as client reviews to help people make an informed decision on a good match. Therapy sessions with licensed therapists last for 45 minutes, and you have the option to hide your view of your face during online sessions.
Wellnite – Best for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Online therapy and psychiatry
- Board-certified doctors on staff
- Free initial consultation with their onboarding specialist
- HIPAA-certified providers and support team
- Available in 40+ states
- Find a therapist that best fits your schedule
- Therapists use mainly CBT
- Choose from 3 subscription plans
- Same-day online appointments available
- Cannot treat conditions requiring controlled substances
- Only accepts PPO insurance plans
- Primarily only CBT techniques are used
Wellnite states that its mission is to make high-quality mental healthcare accessible to everyone regardless of zip code or insurance coverage. They believe in a personalized approach based on science and medical expertise. That’s why the platform gives you access to doctor calls, video therapy sessions, and prescription medication from anywhere if you need it.
This platform is a good option for people living with anxiety, depression, and other conditions that can be treated and managed with non-controlled substances. You can also benefit from talking with Wellnite therapist if you need support with career issues, LGBTQ+ issues, anger management, stress management, sleep issues, and grief and loss.
The staff includes licensed therapists, medical doctors, and psychiatrists. A big advantage of Wellnite is that you get to select your therapist, doctor, or mental health coach from a directory of bios after you have subscribed and don’t have to rely on algorithm to choose them for you. Users can upgrade, downgrade, or cancel their online subscription at any time by messaging customer support through their member portal. Psychiatrists can make prescriptions on medication during a visit, and it will be sent to the pharmacy of your choice.
There are a lot of online therapy providers out there, so you may feel somewhat at a loss for which one to pick to get matched with a therapist. We suggest that you use our recommendations of the best online therapy platforms to look for a mental health provider and do your own research. It’s crucial to look for services that employ only licensed therapists and adhere to the best practices to keep your personal information safe.
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
Loading up next...