6 Indulgent homemade beauty treatments
The fruity facial
This mask provides the mild peeling properties of fruit acids plus generous quantities of vitamin A to heal and revitalise your skin. It also contains enzymes that remove dead cells.
- 1 ripe peach, peeled
- 1 tsp brandy
- A little cornflour
- Mash ingredients together into a workable paste.
- Smooth over your face, avoiding your lips and eyes.
- Rinse off after 20 minutes.
Try this facial scrub for an almost instant improvement in skin texture and appearance.
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp brewer’s yeast
- 1 tsp finely ground bran
- 1 tsp sugar
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together.
- Massage the scrub into your skin before the sugar dissolves. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Read more: Fantastic home remedies for your skin
This moisturiser was invented by a Greek doctor, Galen, in the second century AD.
- 5 tbsp distilled water
- 5 tbsp rosewater
- 1 tsp borax
- 5 tbsp grated white beeswax
- 18 tbsp olive oil
- Combine the water and rosewater, stir in the borax and set aside.
- Place the beeswax in the top of a double boiler and melt it over a gentle heat.When it is liquid, pour in the oil and stir. Pour in the borax solution and continue to stir as it becomes opaque.
- Remove from the heat and stir until the mixture has thickened and cooled. Store in a glass jar away from heat and light.
Detox bath salts
This detox eliminates toxins.The hot water encourages your body to sweat, while essential oils and salts stimulate elimination and circulation.
- 1 cup Epsom salts
- 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops juniper essential oil
- 4 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Add to warm bath water and enjoy soaking for 20 minutes.
Muscle massage oil
Vegetable oils such as almond and avocado restore the skin’s natural elasticity and sheen.This blend helps to relax tight muscles.
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- A good pinch dry mustard powder
- 3 drops wintergreen essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops juniper essential oil
- 200 ml olive oil
- Warm the vinegar and blend it with the mustard so that the powder dissolves.
- Add essential oils and mix well. Combine with olive oil in a plastic squeeze bottle. Store in a cool, dry place, and shake well before use.
This scented deodorant is an effective alternative to the aluminium salts used in most commercial deodorants.
Read more: How to get rid of body odour
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 12 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 100 ml apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml witch hazel
- Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a pump-spray bottle.
- Shake before use and either spray onto the body or under the arms. (Do not spray the deodorant on or around the genital area)
Read more: 3 Scrumptious face scrub recipes