20 Greatest quotes about love
Love is one of the most talked about emotions in literature and philosophy. Here are some of the best quotes about love
Love, that universal language that transcends time, place, and circumstance, has been the subject of countless musings by some of the world's greatest minds. From poets to philosophers, artists to authors, these eloquent souls have captured the essence of love in words that resonate through the ages.
In this collection of the 20 greatest quotes about love, we embark on a journey through the human heart, exploring the myriad facets of this emotion that binds us all. Whether you seek to deepen your understanding of love, are searching for the right words to express your feelings, or simply yearn for a dose of heartfelt inspiration, these quotes are here to remind us that love is the force that keeps the world turning, and the fire that forever warms our souls.
1. "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides". — David Viscott
2. "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies". — Aristotle
3. "Love is not finding someone to live with, it's finding someone you can't imagine living without". — Rafael Ortiz
4. "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage". — Lao Tzu
5. "Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own". — H. Jackson Brown Jr.
"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own"
6. "Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation". — Rabindranath Tagore
7. "To love is nothing. To be loved is something. But to love and be loved, that's everything". — T. Tolis
8. "It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realise just how much you love them". — Agatha Christie
9. "The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds". — Nicholas Sparks
10. "Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star". — E.E. Cummings
11. "The only thing we never get enough of is love, and the only thing we never give enough of is love". — Henry Miller
12. "Love is when you sit beside someone doing nothing, yet you feel perfectly happy". — Anonymous
13. "Love is the poetry of the senses". — Honoré de Balzac
14. "Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings." — Anais Nin
"Love recognises no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope"
15. "You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams". — Dr. Seuss
16. Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
17. "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same". — Emily Brontë
18. "Nobody has ever measured, even poets, how much a heart can hold". — Zelda Fitzgerald
19. "Love recognises no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope". — Maya Angelou
20. "Love is the whole thing. We are only pieces". — Rumi
Banner credit: Couple (Andrea Piacquadio)
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
Loading up next...