Chicken chow mein recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into strips
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 200g Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 125ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or sherry
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 200g packet of noodles
1. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan or wok over a medium–high heat. Add the chicken in 2 batches and stir-fry each batch for 3 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add the garlic, ginger and vegetables. Stir-fry for 2–3 minutes, or until the vegetables are just cooked.
3. In a small bowl, mix the cornflour and stock until smooth. Add to the pan with the rice wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce and chicken and stir until the sauce has thickened.
4. Serve the chicken in shallow bowls, on a bed of noodles or with the noodles piled on top.
Try something different….
To save even more time use your leftover cooked chicken and some frozen mixed Asian vegetables instead of fresh.
Looking for a drink to go with this meal? Click here.