Stilton rarebit with pears and walnuts
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 175g (6oz) Stilton cheese, finely crumbled
- 1 tablespoon milk or beer
- 1½ teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- Black pepper
- 1 small egg yolk
- 2 ripe pears, halved, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Heat the grill and toast the bread on both sides.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small, nonstick saucepan, then stir in the Stilton, milk or beer and mustard, with pepper to taste.
- Heat gently, stirring, until the cheese has melted, being careful not to overheat it.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg yolk. Spread the cheese mixture on the toast and place under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes, to brown.
- Reduce the grill to medium and arrange the pear slices on top of the cheese. Sprinkle over the walnuts.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes to crisp the nuts. Serve at once.
Nutrients per serving:
Vitamins B12, B19, B6