Filling and healthy overnight porridge
Preparation time: 5 minutes, plus overnight soaking
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes
- 140g (5oz) oatmeal
- Pinch of salt
- To serve:
- Semi-skimmed milk
- Brown sugar or honey
- Stewed plums, rhubarb or apples (optional)
- Put the oatmeal in a saucepan with 900ml (1 pint 12fl oz) cold water.
- Stir, then cover and leave somewhere cool overnight.
- The next day, add the salt and bring slowly to the boil over a medium heat, stirring often.
- Simmer over a medium-low heat for 10-20 minutes (pinhead oatmeal takes the longest to cook), stirring, until thick and creamy.
Nutrients per serving:
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 3g
- Fibre: 3g