Delicious cottage cheese pancakes with berry fruit compote
- 225g (8oz) low-fat cottage cheese, drained through a sieve
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 40g (1½ oz) caster sugar
- 85g (3oz) self-raising flour
- About 3 tablespoons milk
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- For the berry compote:
- 280g (10oz) raspberries, or a mixture of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries
- 2 teaspoons rosewater
- Caster sugar (optional)
- Low-fat crème fraîche to serve
- To make the compote, purée 115g (4oz) of the raspberries or mixed berries in a blender or food processor. Stir in the rosewater and remaining berries, with sugar to taste, if desired. Set aside.
- Beat together the cottage cheese, egg yolks and sugar, then stir in the flour. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir a tablespoonful into the pancake mixture, then gently fold in the remaining egg white in two batches, adding enough milk to make a mixture that falls off the spoon when given a light shake.
- Lightly brush or spray a nonstick frying pan with oil and heat. When hot, add large tablespoonfuls of the pancake mixture to the pan and spread them out gently with the back of the spoon.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until just golden underneath, then turn them over and cook for another 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the pancakes to a plate and serve with the berry compote and crème fraîche.
Nutrients per serving:
Vitamins B12, C, B2