Crushed beans on toast
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful of flat-leaved parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- 400g (14oz) canned butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 slices of bread, tomato flavoured (optional), toasted
- Put the garlic into a small saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain and put into a small blender with 4 tablespoons of the oil and the parsley. Blend to a purée, add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a saucepan. Add the beans, onion, bay leaf and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes, crushing the beans coarsely with a fork, until warmed through. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and pile the beans onto the toast.
- Top with the parsley sauce and serve.
Nutrients per serving:
Feature image via A Girl and Her Home