Authentic chicken satay sticks
Preparation time: 35 minutes, plus 2 hours for marinating
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 350g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 courgette, about 150g, thickly sliced
- fresh coriander sprigs, to garnish
For the satay sauce:
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 50g unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Thai green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon reduced salt soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 150ml coconut milk
1. In a bowl, mix together the ginger, soy sauce, lime juice and oil. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, turning once or twice.
2. Before cooking, soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes, to prevent scorching.
3. To make the satay sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the peanuts and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the nuts and onion are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, curry paste, soy sauce, sugar and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a blender or food processor and purée the sauce to a thick cream. Return to saucepan and set aside.
4. Preheat the grill (broiler) to high. Remove chicken from marinade, reserving the marinade. Alternately thread the chicken pieces, a lime wedge, a cherry tomato and the pepper and courgette onto each skewer. Arrange skewers on the grill rack and brush with marinade. Place under the grill, close to the heat. Cook skewers for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice, until vegetables are browned and chicken is cooked through.
5. While skewers are cooking, reheat the satay sauce. Arrange hot skewers on serving plates, garnish with coriander sprigs and serve with satay sauce.
Try something different….
For a vegetarian alternative, replace the chicken with 500g of tofu chopped into wedges.