Rhubarb jam recipe
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Standing time: 24 hours
Makes about 6 x 250g jars
- 2kg sugar
- 300g grams light brown sugar
- 1.25kg rhubarb stalks (trimmed), finely chopped
- 230ml water
- l package (50g) powdered fruit pectin
- l teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ½ teaspoon butter
- Waxed paper discs and cellophane to cover
- Clean and dry glass jars
1. Measure the sugars into a bowl and set aside. Bring the rhubarb and water to the boil over a high heat in a large stainless-steel or enamel preserving pan. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the pectin, lemon rind, butter, and food colouring (if using). Bring to a full rolling boil over a high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in the sugars. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until the sugars are dissolved completely. Remove from the heat. Skim off any foam.
3. Immediately ladle into clean, warm, dry jars, filling to within 3mm of the tops, and cover immediately with waxed paper discs and cellophane covers. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Store in a cool, dark place.