Rhubarb fool: You'd be foolish not to try it
You would have to be a fool not to enjoy this recipe… Blending fresh rhubarb, cream and even a dash of balsamic vinegar, this recipe makes a light and refreshing dessert, perfect for a summery dinner party.
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus chilling
- 900g plain yogurt
- 1kg of chopped fresh (or frozen) rhubarb
- 150g sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 250ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Line a strainer or sieve with 4 layers of cheesecloth; place over a bowl. Add yogurt to the strainer and cover the yogurt with the edges of the cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, water, vinegar and salt; cook over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved and the rhubarb is tender. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream until it begins to thicken. Add the vanilla and remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Transfer the yogurt from the cheesecloth to a bowl (discard the liquid from the bowl underneath). Gradually fold the cream mixture into the yogurt.
4. Fold the yogurt and cream mixture into the rhubarb mixture. Spoon into dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.