This month, chef Katerina Nitsou invites us to sample a bit of Macedonian cuisine with this light but delicious recipe…
"This is such an impressive dish to serve to guests. My Aunt Niki would often make it for us when we visited, and it was much anticipated. As a child, it was almost like having a slice of cake, but savoury.
The combination of sautéed leeks, feta and ricotta is a delicious contrast to the subtly flavoured pancakes."
• 125g plain flour
• 2 eggs
• 120ml whole milk
• 240ml water
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus extra
• 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 large leeks (white and light-green parts only), diced
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 240g ricotta cheese
• 150g feta cheese, grated
• 120ml hot water
• 1 tsp sea salt
1. In a blender, combine all the pancake ingredients and blend for 10 seconds until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the filling: in a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté until softened for 3–4 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Whisk in the cheeses, hot water, and salt to form a paste. Set aside.
4. To make the pancakes: heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat and lightly grease with butter.
5. Pour in just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan and rotate the pan to form a thin layer of batter across the base. Cook until the batter becomes dry on top, and the edges separate from the pan, takes about 2 to 4 minutes.
6. Using a spatula, gently peel away the edges and flip the pancake over. Cook the other side for an additional 2 to 4 minutes, then transfer to a plate.
7. Re-grease the pan with butter if needed and repeat until all the batter has been used. You should have 6 to 8 pancakes.
8. Place a pancake on a flat serving plate. Smear a large spoonful of filling (about 60ml) over the surface of the pancake, then top with another pancake.
9. Repeat the layering process until all the pancakes and filling have been used, making sure you finish with a pancake.
10. Slice into wedges and serve.
From Macedonia - The Cookbook - Recipes from the Balkan Peninsula by Katerina Nitsou
Need Fresh Food Supplies?
If you need the ingredients for you next planned recipe or just want to stock up on your groceries. Then why not order from Morrisons on Amazon and get them delivered straight to your door. Orders are hand-picked from local stores by dedicated Morrisons staff and delivered to customers by Amazon Flex Delivery Partners.
Read more: 10 recipe ideas for leftovers
Read more: Salted caramel-stuffed NYC cookies recipe
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.