This tea-time favourite also makes a great dessert. Served with a glass of Madeira wine perhaps?
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 to 1 ¼ hours
- 175g butter or margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 100g plain flour
- grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- lemon peel
1. Line and grease an 18cm / 7in round cake tin. Beat the butter until soft, then add the sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition and adding a little of the measured flours to prevent curdling.
3. Fold in the flours alternately with the rind and strained lemon juice. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Arrange a large slice of thinly cut lemon peel on top of the mixture.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C / gas 3 for 1–1¼ hours. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack.