Lovely lavender biscuits
Great British Bake Off finalist and Dream Tea ambassador, Miranda Gore Browne is getting ready to have a Dream Tea to help make terminally and seriously ill children’s Dreams Come True. The Dream Tea is asking everyone to take time out for a cup of tea with friends, family and colleagues, all while raising money for Dreams Come True. Here’s one of Miranda’s favourite tea time treats. This is an exclusive recipe for the Dream Tea.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Baking Time: 20 mins
- 1 heaped tbsp lavender flowers (no stalks)
- 175 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 50 g caster sugar pinch of salt
- 25 g semolina
- 130 g unsalted butter, straight from the fridge
- caster sugar, for sprinkling
You will also need:
5 cm heart-shaped or round cutter
1. Put the lavender and flour into a food processor and chop finely.
2. Add the sugar, salt and semolina and whizz to combine. Finely chop or coarsely grate the butter into the mixture and whizz again until a dough forms. Squash into a flat disc, wrap tightly in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Mark 4 and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
4. Place the chilled dough between two sheets of fresh cling film and roll out to a thickness of 3–4 mm. Using a 5 cm cutter, stamp out hearts or circles. Place on the prepared trays, spacing them at least 3 cm apart, and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or less if the biscuits are very small. Sprinkle generously with caster sugar straight after taking them out of the oven, and leave to cool.