This gluten-free Victoria Sponge recipe makes the classic British dessert anew with help from FREEE's free-from flour
This recipe uses the classic all-in-one method to make the sponge cake layers for a Victoria Sponge. The two sponges are traditionally sandwiched together with raspberry jam and cream, while the top is simply dusted with icing sugar.
Cake tin diameter 2 x 15cm (6 inch)
- 125g butter, plus extra for tins
- 125g FREEE Self Raising White Flour
- 3 eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp jam
- 25g cream
- 1 tsp icing sugar
Cake tin diameter 2 x 18cm (7 inch)
- 175g butter, plus extra for tins
- 175g FREEE Self Raising White Flour
- 4 eggs
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp jam
- 50g cream
- 2 tsp icing sugar
Cake tin diameter 2 x 20cm (8 inch)
- 250g butter, plus extra for tins
- 250g FREEE Self Raising White Flour
- 5 eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp jam
- 75g cream
- 3 tsp icing sugar
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes (6 inch), 30-35 minutes (7 inch), 35-40 minutes (8 inch)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, 6 Gas 4. Select the tin size and ingredient quantity you plan to use and rub some butter around the inside of the tins.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into small cubes, put them into the mixing bowl and stir to cover them with flour.
- Break the eggs into the bowl, add the sugar 8 and beat everything together well.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared 9 baking tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for the time given for your chosen tin size until the cakes are just brown and start to come away from the sides of the tin. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack, peel off the paper and leave to cool.
- Spread the jam onto one cool sponge.
- Whip the cream and spread it over the jam. Place the second sponge on top.
- Sift the icing sugar over the cake.
FREEE Baking: 100 Favourite Gluten Free Recipes by Clare Marriage is out now (Ebury Press, £25)
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
Loading up next...