This homemade gluten-free baguette recipe by FREEE is surprisingly easy—just swap in free from flour to transform the classic French bread delicacy
A real gluten free treat, you will need a baguette tray to bake these two home-baked baguette bread sticks.
- FREEE Rice Flour, for dusting
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 125ml water
- 250g FREEE White Bread Flour
- 2 tsp quick yeast
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Line a metal double baguette tray with baking parchment paper and dust it with rice flour.
- Put the egg whites, sugar, salt, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the vinegar and water into a bowl and whisk well.
- Add the flour and yeast, then mix to a smooth, thick batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of oil over the batter and use a spatula to turn the mixture a couple of times in the bowl to form an oily, doughy mass.
- Divide the doughy mass between the prepared baguette tray, spreading it out along the length of the tray and smoothing the top. Stand the baguette tray on a large oven tray. Sprinkle the baguettes with a little rice flour, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise until about doubled in size, about 2–3 hours.
- Put a deep oven tray into the oven, fill it with boiling water and preheat the oven to 220 ̊C, Fan 200 ̊C, 425 ̊F, Gas 7. This will make the oven steamy.
- Quickly and carefully make some cuts across the top of the baguettes. Open the oven door, taking care to avoid a rush of steam, and quickly insert the baguettes. Bake for 25–30 minutes.
- Remove both oven trays from the oven and transfer the baguettes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve the baguettes, preheat the oven to 220 ̊C, Fan 200 ̊C, 425 ̊F, Gas 7 and bake for 10–12 minutes.
FREEE Baking: 100 Favourite Gluten Free Recipes by Clare Marriage is out now (Ebury Press, £25)
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
Loading up next...