How to cook perfect sausages
Start with the best you can buy
- Make sure they are made by a skilled butcher: The more hand made the better.
Decide upon your cooking method
There’s more to life than frying!
- Stewing: Your sausages will cook evenly throughout and none of the flavour will be lost to the pan as it will be incorporated into the sauce. Brown briefly first in the frying pan if you like them with a little colour.
Cook to perfection
If you have sausages in the freezer, you can enjoy them without waiting for them to defrost for hours. Watch this chef’s top tip, for guaranteed tenderness - especially handy for the BBQ, as it puts an end to burnt sausages with raw middles.
Recipe – the ultimate spring onion mash
Just the right accompaniment to your perfect banger!
- 1kg floury potatoes, peeled and cut into approx. 1” chunks
- 120ml of each, milk and single cream, both lukewarm
- 150g cold butter, diced
- 2-3 spring onions, chopped
- Salt and ground nutmeg to taste
Boil the potatoes in water until tender, then drain. Add the milk and cream as you mash. Stir in the butter and add in the spring onions. Season to taste with the salt and nutmeg until you have your ultimate mash.