Easy dessert recipe: Pears poached in mulled wine
- 6 pears, stalks attached, peeled
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 150g sugar
- 2 tbsp shop-bought mulled wine spices (or a home blend of orange peel, 1 cinnamon sticks, 2 cloves and 2 star anise).
- To serve: whipped cream or mascarpone
- Pour the red wine, sugar and spices into a pan – ideally a small one, to make sure that the liquid is deep, rather than spread and shallow.
- Submerge the pears, and then cook at a gentle simmer for 35-40 minutes, until they are tender.
- Lift the pears out of the pan, and then heat the poaching liquid at a rapid simmer until it starts to turn syrupy.
- Serve each pear with 1-2tbsp of the thickened poaching liquid and a dollop of whipped cream or mascarpone.
Enjoyed this story? Share it!