Easy chicken soup: Classic comfort food
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 litre boiling water
- 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 105g frozen corn, thawed
- 250g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 1cm strips
- 125g young broccoli or broccolini, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons medium dry sherry
- 15g snipped fresh chives
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1–11/2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- salt and pepper
1. Pour the water into a large saucepan. Add the stock cubes and whisk over a high heat until the stock boils. Add the red pepper strips and corn. Bring back to the boil, then add the chicken strips and immediately reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
2. Uncover the pan and bring the soup back to the boil. Sprinkle the broccoli into the soup, but do not stir the pieces in. Leave the broccoli to cook on the surface of the soup, uncovered, for 3–4 minutes until just tender.