Easy and delicious shortbread recipe
This month͛s pudding recipe is pared-back shortbread recipe.
There are lots of swizzy ways to adapt the recipe, with flavoured icing or smears of chocolate. But I think shortbread is best served plain, with a cup of herbal tea or coffee at the end of a meal, or mid-afternoon.
- 250g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 100g caster sugar
- 350g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, and line two trays with baking parchment
- Cream the butter and sugar until it͛s starting to turn pale and fluffy. Sift the flour into the mixture, and use a spatula to roughly incorporate it
- Tip out the mixture onto a floured surface, and gently knead it into a dough. Roll out the dough, and then cut into shapes
- Move the shapes onto a baking parchment, prick with a fork and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes
- Bake for 25 minutes, until they are just starting to turn golden at the edges
- Gently lift the biscuits to a cooling rack and dust with sugar