Classic tomato soup recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 680g bottle tomato passata
- 410g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 15g roughly chopped fresh basil
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and sauté for 3–4 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Add the passata, tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium–low and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Using a hand-held blender or food processor, purée the soup until smooth. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then ladle into warm bowls. Sprinkle with the basil, if using, and serve with garlic bread.