Chocolate cake recipe
Perfect for a birthday or afternoon tea, make a delicious chocolate layer cake by following these five simple steps.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 20 cm/8 inch layer cake
For the cake:
- 100 g/4 oz butter or margarine
- 100 g/4 oz caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100g/4 oz self-raising flour
- 30 ml/2 tablespoons cocoa
For the filling:
- 40 g/1½ oz butter or margarine
- 75 g/3 oz icing sugar
- 10 ml/2 teaspoons coffee essence
- 15 ml/1 tablespoon milk
- Base line and grease two 18 cm/7 inch sandwich tins.
- Beat the butter until soft, then add the sugar and cream the mixture until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs before beating them into the mixture, a little at a time, adding a little of the measured flour to prevent the mixture curdling. Sift the remaining flour and cocoa together, then fold the mixture into the cake using a metal spoon.
- Turn the cake mixture into the prepared tins, level the surface and bake in a preheated oven at 160°C/325°F/gas 3 for about 30 minutes or until well risen and springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Beat the butter until soft and creamy, sift the icing sugar and beat it in a little at a time. Stir in the coffee essence and milk.
- Turn the cake on to a wire rack, and remove the lining paper. Leave to cool. Cut the cold cake in half horizontally, and spread the bottom half with the filling; place the top in position and lightly press the two halves together. Dust the top with sifted icing sugar. Using the back of a knife blade, draw a lattice pattern across the sugar.
Loading up next...