Breakfast stacks: The healthy full English
You can add extra ingredients, such as avocado or salmon, to this stack dependent on your taste.
- 4 low-fat herby sausages, skinned
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 slices of rindless smoked back bacon
- 4 large mushrooms, stalks removed
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Heat the grill to moderately hot. With lightly floured hands, shape the sausage meat into four rounds. Place the rounds on the grill rack with the bacon and mushrooms.
- Brush the mushrooms lightly with oil and cook everything under the grill: the mushrooms and sausage rounds need 3-4 minutes on each side and the bacon about 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, add the vinegar to a frying pan of water and heat to simmering point. Break each egg into a cup and gently slide each, one at a time, into the water. Keep the water at a steady temperature, spooning a little water over the yolks as they cook, until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Chop the bacon finely.
- To serve, put each mushroom, rounded-side down, onto a warm plate. Top with a sausage round. With a slotted spoon, lift each egg from the water, place the spoon on kitchen paper to remove excess water and put an egg on top of each sausage.
- Sprinkle with bacon and pepper, and serve with grilled tomatoes.
Nutrients per serving:
Feature image via Clare's Cafe Chronicles