Banoffee Pie: Easy to make bound to impress
Preparation Time: 20 minutes, plus 45 minutes cooling and chilling
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 150g (5½ oz) butter
- 175g (6 oz) digestive biscuits, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 50g (1¾ oz) soft light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 225g (8 oz) condensed milk
- 5 small bananas
- juice of ½ lemon
- 150ml (5 floz) double or whipping cream
- grated chocolate to decorate
1. Carefully melt half the butter, remove it from the heat and stir in the crushed biscuits and mixed spice. Press evenly into the base of a 20cm (8in) flan dish and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Put the other half of the butter and the sugar in a small, heavy-based pan and heat it gently until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to the boil and allow it to simmer for a minute.
3. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the milk and the condensed milk. Bring back to the boil and bubble for 2 minutes or until the mixture turns to a very thick golden sauce, stirring continuously so that it does not burn. Remove it from the heat.
4. Peel and slice 4 of the bananas and then brush them lightly with some of the lemon juice.
5. Arrange the banana slices over the prepared biscuit base, then spread the warm toffee over the banana slices and leave it to cool.
6. Whip the cream until it is stiff and spread or pipe it over the filling.
7. Peel and slice the last banana, brush the slices with lemon juice and arrange them decoratively over the cream. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top and serve.
Try something different…
Use crushed chocolate digestive biscuits or ginger nuts in place of the digestive biscuits.