Baked Grain bowl with blackberries and maple recipe
Chef Niki Webster shares a delectable home favourite, perfect for a breakfast or late morning pick-me-up
Baked oats are pure comfort. For me there is nothing like a cosy bowl of warm oats to make me think of my childhood and my mum making porridge on cold mornings with a sprinkle of brown sugar.
I think that’s why any form of oat-based breakfast always has a lovely, homely feel to me. Food tastes and smells are so evocative and can trigger memories immediately.
I enjoy this one most mornings. The gooey warm berries which top the tasty baked oats are also packed with childhood memories of hedgerow berry picking with my family and then warming them up or turning into jam and using them to top porridge or toast. Absolutely delicious!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
• 80g rolled oats
• 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
• 2 tbsp rye or wheat flakes
• 5 tbsp ground almonds
• 1 tbsp chopped nuts and/ or seeds, such as almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice (optional)
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1–2 tbsp coconut or light soft brown sugar
• 250ml almond milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 tbsp plant-based Greek-style yogurt, plus extra to serve
• Black sesame seeds to serve (optional)
For the warm berries
• 150g blackberries
• 1 tbsp maple syrup
• Splash of water
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine, then add the almond milk, vanilla extract and yogurt. Mix everything well.
3. Divide the mixture between two ovenproof dishes, then bake for about 12 minutes until golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, to make the warm berries, add the berries, maple syrup and water to a saucepan and heat gently until the berries have broken down a little.
5. Serve the baked grains topped with the warm berries, a scoop of creamy yogurt and a few black sesame seeds if you fancy.
Need Fresh Food Supplies?
If you need the ingredients for you next planned recipe or just want to stock up on your groceries. Then why not order from Morrisons on Amazon and get them delivered straight to your door. Orders are hand-picked from local stores by dedicated Morrisons staff and delivered to customers by Amazon Flex Delivery Partners.
Read more: Crispy tofu and crispy leek stir-fry recipe
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.