Channel seaside holiday energy at home with this delicious baked cod recipe. Ready in just 30 minutes, it's a perfect weeknight dinner
Serves 4. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 20 minutes.
- 4 pieces of fresh cod, skinned and boned
- Black pepper
- 25g unsalted butter
- Small bunch of fresh chives, finely chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh dill, finely chopped
- 300ml crème fraîche
- 150ml milk
- 150ml double cream
- 200g cheese, grated
Cod is one of the top five seafood picks in the UK
- Preheat the oven to 200°c or 180°c fan. Take the cod out of the fridge, season with black pepper and let it rest on a plate for about 10 minutes while you gather the other ingredients.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. I prefer to use unsalted butter as the crème fraîche gives this sauce a slight sharpness. When it’s nice and hot, add the cod along with a handful of chopped chives and dill. Fry for a few minutes then place the cod into an ovenproof dish and set aside.
- To the same pan, add the crème fraîche and milk along with the remaining chopped dill and more chives, keeping some back to garnish the dish. Simmer for a few minutes, then add the cream and most of the cheese. Season to taste. If you love seafood, why not add some prawns to the sauce, too?
- Pour the sauce over the cod in the ovenproof dish, top with the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the cod is baking, prepare your vegetables. Boil the new potatoes until tender, then drain and keep warm in the oven with a knob of butter and some of the chopped chives.
- Steam or simmer the baby carrots until tender. Now, while a whisky sauce doesn’t really go with the fish, it does add a nice touch to glazed carrots. Pour some Glayva or Drambuie into a saucepan and add the honey. Once bubbling, toss in the cooked carrots for a couple of minutes until coated and glazed.
- Remove the baked cod from the oven and plate up along with the new potatoes and glazed baby carrots. Sprinkle over the remaining chives and garnish with the extra sprigs of dill. Pour yourself another nip of liqueur and enjoy!
Need Fresh Food Supplies?
If you need the ingredients for you next planned recipe or just want to stock up on your groceries. Then why not order from Morrisons on Amazon and get them delivered straight to your door. Orders are hand-picked from local stores by dedicated Morrisons staff and delivered to customers by Amazon Flex Delivery Partners.
Read more: How ancient women invented beer
Read more: 7 Tasty vegan barbecue ideas
Keep up with the top stories from Reader's Digest by subscribing to our weekly newsletter
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.
Loading up next...